As a writer and motivational speaker, i have always wished for nothing more than come up with the best words and write the best stories that will inspire and build the minds of youths all over the world especially in my country Cameroon... i decided to create this series, STORY STORY, so that i will be able to use the talent of writing that i have to tell riveting and inspiring stories which will motivate all the readers with special regards to psycho-social support of the youth population...
STORY
STORY!
‘Fighting
Through’
When
I completed primary school, with a pass in first school leaving certificate
examination, I could not go further with my studies because my parents were too
poor to afford for my fees. I was forced to stay at home for one year, doing
nothing. One day, I told myself that I was already big enough to fend for
myself, so I decided not to depend on my parents any longer. I knew that they
would not agree to my going away from home. However, I knew that staying at home
would not do me any good. I decided to escape to Kumba. My parents, especially
my mother were devastated by my disappearance but I could not help it. I knew I
had done the right thing.
When
I got to Kumba, I lived with someone from my tribe. Shortly after my arrival, I
picked up a job in a private enterprise. I worked there only for a short time
and then was terminated. Following my termination, I once again became jobless.
I was forced to do ‘bambe’ for four months. During this time, I used to listen to
a program on radio entitled SOMETHING USEFUL. This program greatly inspired me
and has greatly contributed to what I am today. As I listened to it one day, I
heard the announcer say ‘you can become the person you wish to be if only you
are fully determined.’ I told myself in pidgin ‘ suffer don too much’ there and then, I was determined to become
something and end my suffering. That same evening, there was an announcement
over the radio, concerning a competitive examination for custom officers. I had
been told that success is achieved by those who try. Then I asked myself what
will happen if I tried. I thought it would be good and it could lead me to
become a custom officer. I said I would try.
The
problem I faced was that of compiling my documents. I did not have a single
franc on me. I tried to be positive, hoping that by some means which I did not
know, I could get money to get things ready. Coincidentally, my sister had also
been planning that I should try the exam. I was very happy when she came and
told me that she would give me money to make my dossiers and write the exam. When
she said that, I started believing that perhaps God wanted me to become a
custom officer.
One
week before the closing date for the dossier, my sister gave me enough money to
make them. But having, never heard about birth certificate before, I did not
know where to begin. Yet when I began, it all went well, and I finished making
the dossier within the required time.
On
the day we were supposed to write the examination, I arrived the centre barely
five minutes to the start of the first paper. This lateness was caused by the
breakdown of our vehicle on the way, between Muyuka and Ekona.
In
the examination hall, at the last minute, some of us were told that our numbers
had not come from Yaoundé. This meant that we would not write the exam. The
future again became bleak. But I kept hoping and praying that something should
happen. We were asked to write using what they called reserved numbers. The
exam was very difficult but I did my best since I was determined and had faith.
Even then, when the results were out, I did not care to go and check. I thought
I could not pass and I did not want to waste my money for nothing, so I stayed.
But
a day before the course was due to begin in Douala, I was returning home when
my sister and another relative saw me and shouted ‘custom officer’ then they
came and embraced me. For a brief moment, I was confused. Then they told me
that evening since I had to leave the next day. The following day we left. When
we were in Douala, we were told that the course will be in French. I did not
know how I would cope because I had never said even ‘good morning in French. So
I began to worry over the problem. Luckily I did not have to worry for long.
One custom captain offered to give us lectures in English. The course lasted
for eight months. Upon finishing, I was posted to Garoua. That was just the
starting point to my success road. Over the years, I have taken all the
opportunities to go higher in my career. The one big lesson that I learnt from
all this is that when you are determined to work, God always gives you what.
You
cannot say what is in store for you. Tomorrow depends on the efforts of today.
If you make the effort today, you will enjoy tomorrow.
Elambo Neville Tamanjong
WRITER/ACTOR/POET
No comments:
Post a Comment